Monday, March 30, 2009

Curtain Call

Just got back from spring break. It was much needed and it was used well. I was sincerely dreading the flights though. I used some flight miles I had accumulated and well, they were hard to redeem. I was given a 13 hour travel time one way and another 15 hours returning. The only good part was that for 50% of the flights I had first class. Actually for all of the flights where first class was available, I got it. It was not by choice, but rather by default, but I didn't let anyone know about that. In fact, as soon as I was so graciously allowed to board the plane before the other worldly peons, and made it to my plush seat, I pulled out my laptop and pretended to be on my cell phone on some important business call. I wanted people to believe that I belonged there. I would randomly use words like resource constrained, cash-neutral, interim review, vision statement, and cost-effective. I wanted people to believe I was making money RIGHT THERE on the plane! First leg we were offered some all-you-can-eat snacks and I ate well. It was ok though because on my next layover, I had 8 hours to digest my tasty treats and get ready for the next feeding. Next flight, I was offered a meal. Even the way "ham and cheese on marble rye" rolled off the flight attendant's tongue made it sound luxurious. And you might stick up your nose at airplane food, but not I. In fact, I looooooove airplane food. It had been a while since I had a meal, and I am not sure what makes it taste sooooo good. Well what's better than one ham and cheese on marble rye? Two ham and cheese on marble rye's! Oh yeah, I made a quick lunch room trade (a sammy for a bowl of fruit) with the older gentleman next to me and didn't even have to use any jedi mind tricks to execute it...he wanted the fruit!! I felt like the Kansas City Chiefs after that one-sided trade with the Patriots. Like the US after the Louisiana purchase. Hey, $205,000,000 (after inflation) couldn't even touch the national debt today, but it could buy 1/3 of America. So what if it is the crappiest parts. So the third and final first class leg I got to enjoy was another accident. I wasn't supposed to get home until 9:45pm, but I offered to give up my seat in exchange for $300 voucher, a first class seat AND I got to arrive at 7:30pm instead. They even gave us warm towels to wipe our first-class hands clean before you stuffed our faces yet again. I have to say that despite the 2nd class passengers using our bathroom up front and one person storing their bags in our overhead compartments, I loved the second flight....especially when the flight attendant closed the curtains (ahhh now I can finally rest)! And next time, I am keeping the cloth napkins we get....as a souvenir. Now it's back to the grind.

3 comments:

  1. So so good to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed so much food, folks and fun during your flight time!
    I went on a little trip too recently. But it was only a 45 minute flight so we got only got 1/2 Dixie cup of OJ and three pretzels in a nearly impossible to open package. (I think they want you to leave it for the next guy...)
    In my 45 years, I have never flown first class. I always wondered what you guys did behind that little curtain.
    Wonder no more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once was very close to a beautiful and amazing young woman who was pregnant with her second son and going on a pre-baby2 vacation to Hawaii with her adoring hubby. And, yes, she and her beloved were plucked from the line of sweaty masses to ride in First Class all the way! The plane had one of those slick upper stories, and she made it a point to go up there just to do it. Oh, and of course, she brought her King Kamehameha look-alike from her frosty cranberry smoothie along with her macadamia nuts home to her soon-to-be older son who was delighted to spend two weeks regaling his grannies with all his new words...a story for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love (or used to love) airplane food! I also enjoyed hospital food when visiting sick acquaintances as a child. Yet I still have not finished the carton of TJ's peanut butter cups (SO delicious chilled in the fridge!)). What is wrong with me? :-)

    Glad you had a relaxing spring break and hope you stay refreshed 'til summer break!

    ReplyDelete