Saturday, September 20, 2008

How do you like them apples, gunner?

Before I get to the good stuff, I wanted to say that I am getting really sick of the 'professors' ending all their mid-finals-week-e-mails with "happy studying!"  It is just disgusting.  In fact, some students think it is a good idea to add little 'pick-me-ups' during their messages too.  "Good luck all" or "Have a good weekend" knowing full well that we will be locked inside without seeing the light of day, furiously trying to cram information into our overworked and under-rested brains in the hopes that all of a sudden we will be able to remember said piece of info.  I mean, it is not kosh to say to a person asking for change outside a quiktrip, "happy panhandling!"  Bosses do not say "happy job-hunting" to employees they just fired.  I am all for finding the silver-lining, but don't be ridiculous.  

So the night before every exam, our physiology professor goes onto the chat rooms (no matter how innocent that word is meant to be, there is still something odd about saying chat room) and helps answer any last minute questions we might have.  I was there one night watching questions when I noticed something distracting.  This young buck seemed to always have the first answer to everything.  You know, this kind of activity, but in a chat room!  He was also starting to get a little to friendly with the professor, acting like high school buddies that just met on myspace.  So I did something I do not normally do.  I spoke up in the chat room.  I have to say that I gave myself a high-five.  Normal guy 10, gunner 0.  It felt good.


Professor:
 And what is the neurotransmitter that activates the post-ganglionic sympathetic receptors?
 Aug 24, 2008 11:11:09 PM CDT
Professor: receptors should be neurons... Aug 24, 2008 11:11:16 PM CDT
Alpha Gunner: epi Aug 24, 2008 11:11:43 PM CDT
Beta Gunner: norepi? Aug 24, 2008 11:11:45 PM CDT
THE WEEK: ach? Aug 24, 2008 11:11:47 PM CDT
Prefessor: 10 points to THE WEEK... Aug 24, 2008 11:12:04 PM CDT
Confused Gunner: ? Aug 24, 2008 11:12:20 PM CDT
Prefessor: I worded the question differently than I said it in class, which is probably what caught you... Aug 24, 2008 11:12:24 PM CDT



Note to professor:  Do not sugar coat it.  They didn't know the answer...



Speaking of messing with gunners, there is talk amongst some of us about showing up one day in our pressed white coats, with ties and nice shoes and all taking up the first two front rows of seats.  Pretty sure you got to keep the gunners on their toes.  Chris Cocker has nothing on the gunner's potential reaction.  "Leave our seats alone!"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for starting my morning with a huge laugh, "Normal Guy!" Oh, yeah, and "Happy Studying!"

    ReplyDelete